Are you interested in this opportunity and want to land the job? We can help you with that! Check out our online store! There you will find ebooks and services that will help you in this endeavor.
Organization: Oxfam GB
Location: Yemen, Marib
Closing Date: 2022-03-15
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
Do you have 5 years of WASH experience and minimum 3 years’ international experience in emergency WASH with reputed WASH agencies/UN in large scale humanitarian response?
Do you have a suitable qualification and technical capacity in any discipline relating to Public Health Engineering / civil engineering / Water engineering is the necessary knowledge?
Do you have good understanding of the public health needs of IDP, poor rural and urban communities and of appropriate ways of designing and implementing WASH responses?
If the answer is yes, then we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for a WASH Team Leader to perform the following Responsibilities:
Project development; strategic and technical leadership
- Lead and facilitate the development of new WASH and multi sector projects as a part of scale up for Marib humanitarian response.
- Define aims and objectives of the overall WASH program for Oxfam Marib response.
- Design and develop WASH projects in coordination with other Country WASH lead and PHP advisor and close coordination of Protection, Gender, MEAL, Advocacy and communication and support team
- Lead and facilitate on design of sustainable, durable and appropriate technologies for water systems for the given context, including source selection (ground water, surface water), abstraction, storage, treatment, power source and distribution for new systems and/or the rehabilitation of old Water systems.
- Lead and facilitate on design of the most appropriate form of sanitation solutions (to include excreta disposal, vector control, solid waste disposal, drainage) taking full account of local conditions, resources, customs and cultural norms.
- Based on health data: Lead and facilitate on design of culturally appropriate public health promotion and community engagement program for prevention and control of public health risks.
- Identify the needs of the most vulnerable populations and the design and implementation of relevant needs assessments
- Develop letters of intent, concept papers, budgets and proposals in respect of the above to access funds for the proposed activities.
External Coordination and Representation:
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and represent Oxfam at relevant meetings (e.g. state and local government, sector-coordination and security) in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships
- Seek out and actively participate in relevant local networks or task groups on specific humanitarian aid issues
- Represent Oxfam in WASH Cluster at Marib level and provide information for Country WASH Lead for national level coordination
- To ensure that effective liaison with other agencies permits effective and collaborative approach to the emergency/recovery response. Develop an inventory of humanitarian actors in the water & sanitation sector including local NGOs and Government
- Provide water, sanitation and hygiene sectoral leadership and expertise in the assessment.
- Conduct initial rapid assessment of current situation in collaboration with local health workers and affected population; determine priorities and immediate activities and resources i.e. more detailed assessment versus need to address immediate WASH problems.
- Identify direct and indirect beneficiary needs in terms of access to WASH facilities and other community services, taking into consideration the specific needs of vulnerable individuals and persons of concern.
- Represent Oxfam to stakeholders and Governmental and non-Governmental agencies for the purposes of the WASH aspect of the assessment.
- Lead or participate in assessment for potential local partner, resources, human and material for the response with relevant Oxfam staff and departments.
Implementation of ongoing projects:
- Plan and manage WASH program in a phased and prioritized manner with full consultation and coordination with Oxfam staff and other agencies both governmental and non-governmental.
- Ensure gender is fully considered throughout the project cycle with women being enabled to influence decision- making around WASH issues.
- Ensure active and meaningful community engagement for target selection, culturally appropriate, safe, dignified and inclusive design of WASH facilities, monitoring and operations and maintenance of WASH facilities.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated project(s) are carried out in accordance with Oxfam guidelines
Technical Programme Quality; Monitoring; Learning and Accountability:
- Design and develop appropriate supervisory, monitoring and evaluation systems for WASH interventions and ensure regular monitoring of the quality of construction and the progress of project/works implementation.
- To ensure that Programmes are achieving agreed international, national standards and donors requirements and working to increase Accountability.
- Technical support to Marib wash team to improve the quality of engineering related to wash ; hygiene promotion and community engagement Activities:
- In collaboration with the MEAL Coordinator, organize meaningful evaluations that inform learning and are in-line with the project cycle of each project; Ensure that lessons learned are captured and used to share information within the WASH sector
- Keeping up on WATSAN progress and advising the Marib response Manager; ensuring standardized reporting and monitoring systems are in place, Monitoring of Wash Budget
- Ensure high quality WASH programme reporting and assist in preparing mid-term and final reports for donors in collaboration with managers.
- Provide regular updates on progress to response lead, Country WASH lead, MEAL and other team members, including other departments and sectors as appropriate.
- Prepare weekly reports for the WASH Manager(s) to document office and site activities, including communications with external actors, action points, decisions / changes made, and progress, including post-impact monitoring.
- Ensure regular and timely reporting of problems, potential delays or risks to project implementation to the relevant supervisor, and support in the development and execution of solutions and mitigating actions.
- Take lead or part in preparation of donor report and regular Sitrep
- Assess Oxfam staff and partners training need and plan for capacity building
- Train and brief Oxfam staff and partners on Public health related issues.
Support to Local Partner
- Review the partner’s current community engagement tools and approaches with a view to harmonizing into a more effective and contextualized tools in line with international, national and Oxfam standards.
- Ensure partner’s staff understand and can apply the harmonized tools and are able to anticipate, adopt measures in a changing operation environment and context.
- Identify partner’s staff development needs, design and organize capacity building programme to improve quality of WASH response design and implementation by partner organization (s).
- Develop partnership with local government agencies (LWSC and Cleaning fund) for the implementation of water supply and sanitation activities and develop the capacity of local government in the full range of roles required to implement and sustain joint WASH responses and facilities.
Logistics & finance:
- Coordinate with the Logistics Team for procurement of goods and services needed for WASH activities. And Develop an inventory of local suppliers and local contractors in the water and sanitation sector in conjunction with logistics
- Monitor the spending of the designated project(s) to ensure they operate in line with Oxfam and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices
- Undertake any other duties that may be assigned by the response lead;
- Conduct duties in accordance with Oxfam programme Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Conduct duties in accordance with Oxfam Code of Conduct, HAP and other key documents.
- Where relevant, liaise with donors and partners on project updates, site visits and other communication
What we are looking for
Our next WASH Team Leader should meet the following requirements:
- A suitable qualification and technical capacity in any discipline relating to Public Health Engineering / civil engineering / Water engineering is the necessary knowledge.
- Over 5 years of WASH experience and minimum 3 years’ international experience in emergency WASH with reputed WASH agencies/UN in large scale humanitarian response.
- Good understanding of the public health needs of IDP, poor rural and urban communities and of appropriate ways of designing and implementing WASH responses
- Aware of and sensitive to the particular needs of women in this context
- Good written and spoken English is essential, understanding and knowledge of Arabic is an advantage
- Ability & experience in complex insecure context, accessing less accessible
- Team, budget, contract management experience, working with government and development of concept notes and proposals
- Experience of working in both development programmes and complex humanitarian situations, and ability to integrate into one-programme-approach is highly desirable
- Solid experience in working in conflict setting/remote operations and working in fragile contexts
This role will give you an opportunity to make a difference in the humanitarian response in Yemen, to work with a group of passionate people that are specialists in their fields etc, training and development, offers fair pay and competitive benefits package.
We believe flexible working is key to building the Oxfam of the future, so we’re open to talking through the type of flexible arrangements which might work for you. We think this role would work particularly well as a partially home-based role or job share.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Oxfam GB also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Are you interested in this opportunity and want to land the job? We can help you with that!
OpenIGO has helped dozens of professionals from all around the world to kick-start their international careers with intergovernmental organizations. Our high-qualified team of professionals and human resources specialists have put together a series of products and services to help make your dream come true!
On our online store, you will find comprehensive eBooks, mock interviews, application reviews, and other related services, which have been prepared for you with the utmost care! What are you waiting for? Get started on your international career now!